Energize Your Career in the Arctic!
Qulliq Energy Corporation (QEC) is entrusted with providing safe and reliable power to customers across Nunavut. QEC is the sole energy provider in the territory and operates 25 stand-alone diesel power generation facilities and distribution systems across the territory.
Working in Nunavut
Nunavut is Canada’s newest and largest territory and has the fastest growing economy in the country. It is known for its breathtaking landscapes and amazing adventure opportunities. Join our team and spend your time exploring a vast winter wonderland by snowmobile, traversing ancient waterways by kayak, hiking an expansive tundra overflowing with wildlife, or experiencing a rich culture known for its distinct artwork, music, and cuisine. Join our team of highly motivated and experienced industry professionals as we provide safe and reliable power across Nunavut.
Powerline Technician (QEC-23-003), Re-advertisement
Reporting to the Maintenance Supervisor, the Powerline Technician is responsible for installing, maintaining, and repairing overhead and underground power lines and cables. The position is also responsible for connecting new services, installing temporary services, and inspecting and maintaining tools, equipment, and vehicles used to carry out line work.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Inspects, troubleshoots, and repairs powerline systems, subsystems, and equipment to ensure maximum productivity and quality.
- Inspects, troubleshoots, and repairs emergency powerline systems, subsystems, and equipment and replaces as required.
- Travels to remote communities to perform regular inspections, conduct preventative maintenance, install equipment, and perform general repairs to powerlines and systems.
- Maintains maintenance documentation and coordinates with operators, maintenance staff, when amending documentation.
- Ensures all materials used during construction and repairs are logged and reported to the Line Supervisor.
- Provides on-site solutions or modifications to bring systems back online as quickly as possible during outage situations while mitigating risk to equipment.
- Always maintains a clean and safe work environment and acts in a pro-active manner to make timely recommendations for continuous improvement of operations and equipment.
- Ensures work is conducted in accordance with all corporate policies and procedures; territorial, provincial, and national codes; and in compliance with all health, safety, and environmental regulations.
Required Qualifications Include:
- Intra-provincial certification as a Powerline Technician.
- Class 3 driver’s licence with an airbrake endorsement, and the ability to meet vehicle insurance requirements of QEC.
- Red Seal certification is an asset
- Knowledge of Nunavut, the land, language, and culture an asset.
- The ability to speak Inuktitut, Inuinnaqtun and/or French an asset.
We offer a competitive salary range of $ 104 543,24 to $122 116,48 and a northern living allowance of $16,008.00 per annum. We also offer a comprehensive benefits package, including a defined-benefit pension program. In addition, subsidized staff housing is available for this position. This position is included in the Nunavut Employee’s Union.
Preference will be given to Nunavut Inuit.
To apply, send your application by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please apply by Friday, March 31, 2023 - 11:59pm. Applications for this competition may be considered for future employment opportunities with QEC.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.