QULLIQ ENERGY CORPORATION
Qulliq Energy Corporation (QEC) is entrusted to provide safe, reliable power to all customers in Nunavut. Owned by the Government of Nunavut and operated as an arms-length territorial corporation, QEC is the sole provider of electricity and district heating in Nunavut. In comparison to other utilities in Canada, QEC faces unique challenges as it operates 25 stand-alone diesel power generation facilities and distribution systems located in each of the territory’s communities.
QEC-20-042 Plant Operator
This competition is restricted to Nunavut Inuit applicants
Based out of Iqaluit, Nunavut and reporting to the Production Supervisor – Qikiqtaaluk South, working on a scheduled shift rotation, the Plant Operator is responsible for the safe and reliable operation of the Iqaluit power generation facility. The position is responsible for performing a variety of tasks such as monitoring control room interfaces, conducting regular inspections, performing routine maintenance, and conducting general labour activities within the power generation facility and grounds.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Ensures the safe and reliable operation of the Iqaluit generation facility by monitoring control room interfaces, performing regular inspections, and alerting maintenance crews to potential hazards.
• Performs routine maintenance of generation equipment including oil and filter changes, fuel transfers, glycol replacement, and other similar routine maintenance activities.
• Assists maintenance crews and contractors in completing projects by scheduling events, monitoring systems and components, and performing generalized labour activities.
• Provides guidance and technical instruction to trainees and ensures they are provided with opportunities to develop and practice their skills.
• Ensures safety and emergency equipment is updated, maintained, and replaced in accordance with applicable timelines and standards.
• Performs generalized labour tasks including basic construction, painting, inventory management, and maintenance a safe and clean work environment.
Required Qualifications Include:
• High school diploma
• Experience in the production and distribution of power.
• Valid class 5 driver’s license and satisfactory drivers abstract.
• Power Engineering (fourth class) is an asset.
• Knowledge of Nunavut, the land, language and culture.
• The ability to communicate in Inuktitut, Inuinnaqtun and/or French.
We offer a competitive starting salary range of $81,369 to $92,996, a northern living allowance of $15,016 per annum, a comprehensive benefits package including a defined benefit, and subsidized staff housing. This position is included in the Nunavut Employees Union.
To apply email firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to: Human Resources, Qulliq Energy Corporation, P.O. Box 420, Baker Lake, NU X0C 0A0
Apply in writing, by December 4, 2020.
Applications for this competition may be considered for future employment opportunities with QEC.
We thank all applicants for the interest; however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.