Energize your career in the Arctic!
Find your next exciting adventure in the Canadian Arctic! Join our team of highly motivated and experienced industry professionals as we provide safe, reliable, and affordable power across Nunavut.
Working in Nunavut
Nunavut is Canada’s newest and largest territory and has the fastest growing economy in the country. With breathtaking landscapes and amazing adventure opportunities, you will find excitement not only in your career, but in your free time as well. If the thought of dog sledding, snowmobiling, kayaking, ice fishing, or exploring a rich culture filled with distinct artwork and music sounds enticing, Nunavut is the place for you.
Qulliq Energy Corporation
Qulliq Energy Corporation (QEC) is entrusted to provide safe, reliable power to all customers in Nunavut. Owned by the Government of Nunavut and operated as an arms-length territorial corporation, QEC is the sole provider of electricity and district heating in Nunavut. In comparison to other utilities in Canada, QEC faces unique challenges as it operates 25 stand-alone diesel power generation facilities and distribution systems located in each of the territory’s communities.
QEC-21-021 Payroll and Benefits Coordinator
Reporting to the Manager, Payroll, Pension and Benefits, the Payroll and Benefits Coordinator based out of Baker Lake is responsible for assisting with the full cycle production of the bi-weekly payroll and the administration of the corporate group benefits and the Public Service Pension Plan. The Payroll and Benefits Coordinator will conduct audits, reconcile contributions and deductions, and process submissions of monthly pension and benefits remittances.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Assists in the processing of full cycle bi-weekly payroll with up to 300 union and excluded employees; including timesheet audits, verification of records, balancing and adjusting entries from the electronic time & attendance system for payroll imports.
• Verifies earning and deduction calculations for regular pay, special payments (retroactive, severance, lieu of notice, etc.) and banked time adjustments are accurate and applied in the appropriate pay periods.
• Administers all year-end activities for payroll and benefits including the processing and filing of all year-end tax forms and summaries with oversight from the Manager.
• Advises employees on Pensions and Benefits related information such as Service buy-backs, disability options, and dependent coverage.
• Maintains the Public Works and Government Services Canada Data Capture Tool (DCT) and the Canada Life GroupNet portal.
• Completes year-end reconciliations and calculations for Pension Adjustments/Reversals and other related projects as required by the Corporation.
Required Qualifications Include:
• Two-year post-secondary diploma in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting or a related discipline.
• Payroll Compliance Practitioner designation.
• Three years of full cycle payroll experience.
• Experience in the application of collective agreement pay provisions.
• Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Excel, Adobe, databases, electronic timekeeping and payroll systems and web based applications.
• Certified Employee Benefit Specialist (CEBS), Group Benefits Associate (GBA), Retirement Plans Associate (RPA) or Certified Payroll Manager (CPM) would be considered assets.
• Knowledge of Nunavut, the land, language and culture.
• The ability to communicate in Inuktitut, Inuinnaqtun and/or French.
Equivalencies consisting of a combination of related education and experience may be considered.
We offer a competitive starting salary range of $87,204.00 to $101,146.50, a northern living allowance of $24,381 per annum, eligibility for overtime, a comprehensive benefits package including a defined benefit pension program and subsidized staff housing. This position is included in the Nunavut Employees Union.
Preference will be given to Nunavut Inuit.
To apply send your application by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to: Human Resources, Qulliq Energy Corporation, P.O. Box 420, Baker Lake, NU X0C 0A0
Apply in writing, by May 28, 2021.
Applications for this competition may be considered for future employment opportunities with QEC.
We thank all applicants for the interest; however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.