Energize your career in the Arctic!
Find your next exciting adventure in the Canadian Arctic! Join our team of highly motivated and experienced industry professionals as we provide safe, reliable, and affordable power across Nunavut.
Working in Nunavut
Nunavut is Canada’s newest and largest territory and has the fastest growing economy in the country. With breathtaking landscapes and amazing adventure opportunities, you will find excitement not only in your career, but in your free time as well. If the thought of dog sledding, snowmobiling, kayaking, ice fishing, or exploring a rich culture filled with distinct artwork and music sounds enticing, Nunavut is the place for you.
Qulliq Energy Corporation
Qulliq Energy Corporation (QEC) is entrusted to provide safe, reliable power to all customers in Nunavut. Owned by the Government of Nunavut and operated as an arms-length territorial corporation, QEC is the sole provider of electricity and district heating in Nunavut. In comparison to other utilities in Canada, QEC faces unique challenges as it operates 25 stand-alone diesel power generation facilities and distribution systems located in each of the territory’s communities.
QEC 21-044 Manager, Electrical Distribution Planning
Based out of Iqaluit, Nunavut and reporting to the Director, Engineering the Manager, Distribution Planning is responsible for the research, planning, and certification of the Corporation’s electrical distribution systems, designs, and standards. The position supports the execution of distribution system projects by providing engineering support in areas such as system planning, design services, technical analysis, and conducting research. The position also provides technical advice, support, and recommendations to stakeholders as required.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plans and designs new installations, replacements, and upgrades of the Corporation’s distribution systems and ensures that all designs meet or exceed QEC’s Distribution Standards and all other applicable codes, standards, and regulations.
- Submits Requests for Tender for capital projects such as extensions to distribution systems, reconditioning of existing feeders, replacement of existing substations, etc. and ensures capital and recoverable projects are on budget.
- Undertakes and coordinates research, studies, analysis, and designs related to fuse coordination, load balancing, load flow studies, short circuit, grounding, bonding, etc.
- Oversees and assists in the design and development of new and existing distribution standards and procedures, including stamping designs.
- Chairs the Distribution Standards Committee consisting of representation from the Engineering and Operation departments.
- Reviews applications for third party attachments to the distribution system and assists with updating joint use attachment records and invoicing.
- Oversees service desk and customer service requests, and works closely with Manager, Distribution and Fleet Operations to ensure excellent customer service
Required Qualifications Include:
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering.
- Registered Professional Engineer (P. Eng.), with immediate eligibility for registration with NAPEG.
- Seven years of experience planning distribution generation systems in a utility.
- Two years of experience in the supervision and development of staff
- Experience working with medium voltage distribution systems, including overhead and underground construction, industrial and commercial services, joint use agreements, and metering.
- Experience in full scope project management, from inception to commissioning.
- Project Management Professional (PMP) designation is an asset.
- Knowledge of Nunavut, the land, language and culture.
- The ability to communicate in Inuktitut, Inuinnaqtun and/or French.
We offer a competitive starting salary range of $121,836.00 to $146,562.00, a northern living allowance of $15,016 per annum, a comprehensive benefits package including a defined benefit pension program and subsidized staff housing. This position is NOT included in the Nunavut Employees Union.
To apply send your application by email to email@example.com or by mail to Human Resources, Qulliq Energy Corporation, P.O. Box 420, Baker Lake, NU X0C 0A0
Apply in writing, by November 5, 2021.
Applications for this competition may be considered for future employment opportunities with QEC.
We thank all applicants for the interest; however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.