QULLIQ ENERGY CORPORATION
Qulliq Energy Corporation (QEC) is entrusted to provide safe, reliable power to all customers in Nunavut. Owned by the Government of Nunavut and operated as an arms-length territorial corporation, QEC is the sole provider of electricity and district heating in Nunavut. In comparison to other utilities in Canada, QEC faces unique challenges as it operates 25 stand-alone diesel power generation facilities and distribution systems located in each of the territory’s communities.
QEC-21-024 Assistant Operator
This competition is restricted to Nunavut Inuit applicants
Based out of Rankin Inlet, Nunavut and reporting to the Production Supervisor, this position is responsible for operating and monitoring the diesel powerhouses and associated systems to provide safe, reliable electrical service to Qulliq Energy customers in the community in a cost effective manner.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Operates the plant ensuring all safety and emergency equipment are maintained in accordance with applicable standards.
• Conducts plant checks as required to ensure there are no issues requiring immediate attention.
• Performs minor preventative maintenance and emergency repairs as required.
• Monitors fuel transfers to ensure safe and expedient delivery according to QEC fuel transfer procedures.
• Assists with inspection, repairs and verification of line and metering equipment.
• Assists area maintenance or contract maintenance crews in the completion of projects with regard to scheduling, monitoring and actual hands-on assistance.
• Develops and maintains good working relationships with community and local business representatives.
Required Qualifications Include:
• High school education – minimum Grade 10.
• Experience in the production and distribution of power.
• Basic computer skills are an asset.
• Valid drivers’ license and satisfactory drivers abstract.
• Related journeyman certificate in the electrical/mechanical trades or equivalent is an asset.
• Knowledge of Nunavut, the land, language and culture.
• The ability to communicate in Inuktitut, Inuinnaqtun and/or French.
We offer a competitive starting salary range of $76,107 to $86,340, a northern living allowance of $18,517 per annum, eligibility for overtime, and a comprehensive benefits package including a defined benefit. This position is included in the Nunavut Employees Union.
To apply email email@example.com or by mail to: Human Resources, Qulliq Energy Corporation, P.O. Box 420, Baker Lake, NU X0C 0A0
Apply in writing, by June 18, 2021.
Applications for this competition may be considered for future employment opportunities with QEC.
We thank all applicants for the interest; however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.