Energize your career in the Arctic!
Find your next exciting adventure in the Canadian Arctic! Join our team of highly motivated and experienced industry professionals as we provide safe, reliable, and affordable power across Nunavut.
Working in Nunavut
Nunavut is Canada’s newest and largest territory and has the fastest growing economy in the country. With breathtaking landscapes and amazing adventure opportunities, you will find excitement not only in your career, but in your free time as well. If the thought of dog sledding, snowmobiling, kayaking, ice fishing, or exploring a rich culture filled with distinct artwork and music sounds enticing, Nunavut is the place for you.
Qulliq Energy Corporation
Qulliq Energy Corporation (QEC) is entrusted to provide safe, reliable power to all customers in Nunavut. Owned by the Government of Nunavut and operated as an arms-length territorial corporation, QEC is the sole provider of electricity and district heating in Nunavut. In comparison to other utilities in Canada, QEC faces unique challenges as it operates 25 stand-alone diesel power generation facilities and distribution systems located in each of the territory’s communities.
QEC-20-001 Staffing and Recruitment Officer
Based out of Baker Lake, Nunavut and reporting to the Manager, Human Resources, the Staffing and Recruitment Officer leads the full cycle recruitment process for the Corporation. This position ensures that Nunavut Inuit applicants are prioritized and that compliance is followed during the staffing process in adherence to Article 23, the Government of Nunavut’s Priority Hiring Policy, along with QEC’s internal policies and procedures. The position is the first point of contact for potential employees and plays a key role in promoting QEC as an employer of choice through initiatives that include representing the corporation at trade shows and various community events.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develops innovative recruitment and marketing strategies that play a key role in attracting qualified applicants while prioritizing Nunavut Inuit with the goal of promoting QEC an employer of choice in Nunavut.
- Establishes and develops recruitment partnerships with advertising and recruitment firms to increase the effectiveness of recruitment campaigns and ensures the attraction of qualified candidates from which to select.
- Identifies essential qualifications and formulates an appropriate combination of knowledge/competency, situational and behavioral descriptive interview questions in consultation with departmental client representatives.
- Coordinates multiple competitions and selection processes (e.g. applicant screening, interviews, written assignments, testing, reference checks, on-site visits).
- Works with the Facilities Management, Purchasing and Travel departments to coordinate new hire travel, accommodation and relocations.
- Makes salary recommendations, prepares and processes letters of offer under the delegated authority from the minister responsible for the public service.
Required Qualifications Include:
- Bachelor’s degree with a concentration in Human Resources.
- Two years’ (2) experience in staffing and/or recruitment or a similar role.
- Experience in interpreting and administering HR policies and procedures, preferably in the public sector.
- Experience in Government and Public Sector hiring policies & processes.
- Professional designation such as Chartered Professional in Human Resources (CPHR).
- Knowledge of Nunavut, the land, language and culture.
- The ability to communicate in Inuktitut, Inuinnaqtun and/or French.
Equivalencies consisting of a combination of related education and experience may be considered.
We offer a competitive starting salary range of $93,268 to $108,946, a northern living allowance of $24,381 per annum, eligibility for overtime, a comprehensive benefits package including a defined benefit pension program and subsidized staff housing. This position is not included in the Nunavut Employees Union.
Preference will be given to Nunavut Inuit. If a Nunavut Inuit is not the successful candidate, the position will be offered as a three (3) year term.
To apply send your application by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to: Human Resources, Qulliq Energy Corporation, P.O. Box 420, Baker Lake, NU X0C 0A0
Apply in writing, by January 31, 2020.
Applications for this competition may be considered for future employment opportunities with QEC.
We thank all applicants for the interest; however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.