Energize your career in the Arctic!
Find your next exciting adventure in the Canadian Arctic! Join our team of highly motivated and experienced industry professionals as we provide safe, reliable, and affordable power across Nunavut.
Working in Nunavut
Nunavut is Canada’s newest and largest territory and has the fastest growing economy in the country. With breathtaking landscapes and amazing adventure opportunities, you will find excitement not only in your career, but in your free time as well. If the thought of dog sledding, snowmobiling, kayaking, ice fishing, or exploring a rich culture filled with distinct artwork and music sounds enticing, Nunavut is the place for you.
Qulliq Energy Corporation
Qulliq Energy Corporation (QEC) is entrusted to provide safe, reliable power to all customers in Nunavut. Owned by the Government of Nunavut and operated as an arms-length territorial corporation, QEC is the sole provider of electricity and district heating in Nunavut. In comparison to other utilities in Canada, QEC faces unique challenges as it operates 25 stand-alone diesel power generation facilities and distribution systems located in each of the territory’s communities.
Electrical Engineer - Distribution (Temporary)
Based out of Iqaluit, Nunavut and reporting to the Manager, Electrical – Distribution, this position is responsible for providing technical and electrical system design services throughout the project cycle of Electrical Distribution projects from conceptual design through to commissioning. This position is accountable for selecting materials during the design phase, defining design criteria and specifications, determining specific technical details of design, and stamping drawings and documents.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Designs overhead and underground distribution engineering projects (both Recoverable and Capital) by clearly defining scopes of work, completing cost estimates, performing engineering calculations, and developing detailed design drawings (AutoCAD).
- Prepares assessment studies for the potential upgrade or rehabilitation power distribution projects or construction of new facilities.
- Prepares tender specifications, tender documents, drawings and cost estimates for power distribution related projects.
- Performs on-site inspections during the project’s construction and commissioning phase, and provides technical support and electrical design reviews for distribution projects.
- Adheres to all Canadian technical standards including by not limited to Canadian Electrical Code (CEC), Canadian Standards Association (CSA), and National Building Code (NBC).
Required Qualifications Include:
- Bachelor Degree in Electrical Power Engineering.
- Registered Professional Engineer (P.Eng) with eligibility for registration in NAPEG.
- Five (5) years of utility experience in electrical power distribution.
- Experience with medium voltage, bulk power distribution/transmission.
- Hands on experience in power distribution system design software e.g., PLS-CADD, ETAP, GIS etc.
- Project Management Professional (PMP) designation is an asset.
- Knowledge of Nunavut, the land, language and culture.
- The ability to communicate in Inuktitut, Inuinnaqtun and/or French.
We offer a competitive starting salary range of $104,500 to $123,864, a northern living allowance of $15,016 per annum, eligibility for overtime, and a comprehensive benefits package including a defined benefit pension program. This position is included in the Nunavut Employees Union.
Preference will be given to applicants who are Nunavut Inuit.
To apply send your application by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to: Human Resources, Qulliq Energy Corporation, P.O. Box 420, Baker Lake, NU X0C 0A0
Applications for this competition may be considered for future employment opportunities with QEC.
We thank all applicants for the interest; however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.