Qulliq Energy Corporation
Qulliq Energy Corporation (QEC) is entrusted to provide safe, reliable power to all customers in Nunavut. Owned by the Government of Nunavut and operated as an arms-length territorial corporation, QEC is the sole provider of electricity and district heating in Nunavut. In comparison to other utilities in Canada, QEC faces unique challenges as it operates 25 stand-alone diesel power generation facilities and distribution systems located in each of the territory’s communities.
QEC-19-066 Manager – Electrical Generation
Based out of Iqaluit, Nunavut, the Manager – Electrical Generation reports to the Director, Engineering and is accountable for the planning and management of all electrical engineering services for the Corporations generation systems. The position organizes, schedules, assigns and supervises the activities of the division and the employees engaged in electrical generation engineering services on capital projects and operational support, as well as the distribution analysis and design work required throughout the corporation.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Achieves electrical generation engineering operational objectives by contributing electrical generation expertise and recommendations to strategic plans and reviews.
- Initiates, develops, implements and maintains electrical generation engineering standards and procedures for diesel generating stations.
- Performs technical reviews and provides quality assurance, with respect to applicable codes, standards and design accuracy, on electrical designs, specifications, quantity and cost estimates, tenders and contracts prepared in-house, by specialists or by engineering consultants.
- Prepares technical reports and provides progress reports as required.
- Develops, tracks, monitors and manages departmental capital and operating budgets.
Required Qualifications Include:
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering from an accredited Canadian university or equivalent.
- Registered Professional Engineer (P.Eng) with immediate eligibility for registration in NAPEG.
- Seven (7) years experience managing electrical generation systems in a utilities setting, including at least two (2) years in the supervision and development of staff.
- Strong demonstrated administration and leadership skills.
- Experience in diesel generated power generation.
- Project management experience in the areas of planning and scheduling, resources management, estimating and progress reporting.
- Project Management Professional (PMP) designation.
- Knowledge of Nunavut, the land, language and culture.
- The ability to communicate in Inuktitut, Inuinnaqtun and/or French.
Equivalencies that consist of an acceptable combination of education, experience, knowledge, skills and abilities may be considered.
We offer a competitive starting salary range of $119,437 to $143,695 a northern living allowance of $15,016 per annum, eligibility for overtime, a comprehensive benefits package including a defined benefit and pension program, along with subsidized staff housing. This position is not included in the Nunavut Employees Union.
To apply email firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to: Human Resources, Qulliq Energy Corporation, P.O. Box 420, Baker Lake, NU X0C 0A0
This is a sensitive position and a satisfactory Criminal Record Check will be required.
Preference will be given to Nunavut Inuit.
Applications for this competition may be considered for future employment opportunities with QEC.
We thank all applicants for the interest; however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.