Entrusted with supplying safe, reliable and efficient energy to the citizens of Nunavut, through both traditional and alternative sources, Qulliq Energy Corporation (QEC) offers many opportunities for those seeking to convert their skills and expertise into professional success. Sounds like you? Join our team. Wide-open spaces, rewarding work in a variety of settings, and the chance to contribute to the well-being of all Nunavummiut will bring new energy to your career – now and in the future.
Iqaluit, NU –Temporary
Are you a certified Industrial, Construction or Power Systems Electrician looking to build on your skills and experience? Can you balance competing priorities while meeting safety requirements? If so, let’s talk.
Reporting to the Maintenance Supervisor, you will play a key role in maximizing productivity and quality by performing safe preventive maintenance, overhauls and general repair of electrical plant equipment, and assisting in the installation of new equipment or with capital projects. As an Electrician, you will be able to determine the types of repairs that should be made on electrical equipment, while ensuring that all work complies with Electrical codes and other technical and corporate standards. This is not a rotational position but, rather, a full-time placement in your assigned community.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Coordinating with the Supervisor to confirm decisions and maintenance priorities and plans;
- Completing work on capital projects by following design specifications prepared by Engineering;
- Coordinating with Stores to ensure materials are ordered and on schedule for delivery;
- In conjunction with Operations, advising local government agencies on power interruptions or new installations having direct impact on customers;
- Inspecting diesel gensets, alarms and wiring connections, i.e. battery, pumps, HVAC;
- Troubleshooting and repairing electrical equipment in a power plant;
- Inspecting generator and related items, per preventive maintenance program;
- Examining and testing engine radiator fans;
- Ensuring proper settings, sensors and alarms for the Variable Frequency Drive (VFD);
- Testing programmable logic controller (PLC) to ensure operational and auto dialer functional;
- Ensuring proper checks are completed on electrical hoist(s), if available;
- Testing all compressors and emergency lighting;
- Preparing and updating documentation related to power generation and maintenance logs;
- Coordinating with the Plant Superintendent on Residual Heat Systems; and
- Maintaining wind turbine and other renewable sources of energy.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS INCLUDE:
- Inter-provincial trade certification as an Industrial or Construction Electrician Red Seal, or certification as a Power Systems Electrician;
- At least two years of post-qualification experience in a related work environment (power plants, diesel locomotives, or marine applications);
- Knowledge of diesel-generated power and control systems;
- Strong written and oral communication and decision-making skills and judgment;
- Ability to prioritize and work with minimal supervision and independently within guidelines and following company procedures; and
- Excellent problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Knowledge of Nunavut, including the language, land and culture;
- Ability to speak Inuktitut, Inuinnaqtun and/or French; and
- Experience working in remote locations.
We offer a competitive salary ranging from $91,187 to $105,768 per annum and a comprehensive benefits package, including a Northern Living Allowance of $15,016 per annum. This position is included in the Nunavut Employees Union. Subsidized staff housing is available.
Preference will be given to Nunavut Inuit.
Apply in writing to: email@example.com
or by mail to: Human Resources, Qulliq Energy Corporation, P.O. Box 420, Baker Lake, NU X0C 0A0.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted. Applicants for this competition may be considered for future employment with QEC.