Energize your career in the Arctic!
Find your next exciting adventure in the Canadian Arctic! Join our team of highly motivated and experienced industry professionals as we provide safe, reliable, and affordable power across Nunavut.
Working in Nunavut
Nunavut is Canada’s newest and largest territory and has the fastest growing economy in the country. With breathtaking landscapes and amazing adventure opportunities, you will find excitement not only in your career, but in your free time as well. If the thought of dog sledding, snowmobiling, kayaking, ice fishing, or exploring a rich culture filled with distinct artwork and music sounds enticing, Nunavut is the place for you.
Qulliq Energy Corporation
Qulliq Energy Corporation (QEC) is entrusted to provide safe, reliable power to all customers in Nunavut. Owned by the Government of Nunavut and operated as an arms-length territorial corporation, QEC is the sole provider of electricity and district heating in Nunavut. In comparison to other utilities in Canada, QEC faces unique challenges as it operates 25 stand-alone diesel power generation facilities and distribution systems located in each of the territory’s communities.
QEC-20-023 Control and Automation Specialist
Based out of Iqaluit, Nunavut and reporting to the Manager, Electrical Generation, the Control and Automation Specialist is accountable for the integrity, reliability, and operability of all automation and control designs within the Engineering section. The position will advise on automation and control matters to ensure safe, reliable and efficient operations as well as compliance to all territorial and federal codes and standards.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs Automation, Control and Protection (APC) detailed electrical engineering design and analysis of existing and new installations, plant main control panels (switchgear, etc.), Variable Frequency Drives (VDFs), Programmable Logic Controllers (PLCs), Gen-sets instrumentations, exciters, voltage regulators, breakers & associated controls.
- Resolves APC issues and provides support for investigations and emergency field repairs.
- Supports capital projects during commissioning by providing APC technical expertise and Project Management services.
- Prepares preliminary and final detailed designs for PLC, SCADA, related communication systems and automation.
- Supports departmental APC design quality assurance processes and performs independent reviews of APC design work completed by designers, engineering consultants, and CAD technicians.
- Provides technical and operational support and advice to field personnel for issues related to APC (PLC, automation, communication systems, coordination studies, relay/protection settings, and other related systems).
- Serves as Project Monitor and performs on-site supervision, inspection, performs or witness commissioning.
- Prepare progress reports and technical reviews.
Required Qualifications Include:
- Post Secondary Diploma in Electrical Engineering, Instrumentation or related field of study.
- Minimum three (3) years of APC experience in a utility setting.
- Registered Professional Engineer with eligibility for registration in NAPEG is an asset.
- Project management training or certification is an asset.
- Experience in APC of capital projects as well as generating stations and substations is an asset.
- Experience in diesel power generation is an asset.
- Knowledge of Nunavut, the land, language and culture.
- The ability to communicate in Inuktitut, Inuinnaqtun and/or French.
Equivalencies consisting of a combination of related education and experience may be considered.
We offer a competitive starting salary range of $99,684.00 to $126,126.00, a northern living allowance of $15,016 per annum, eligibility for overtime, a comprehensive benefits package including a defined benefit pension program and subsidized staff housing. This position is included in the Nunavut Employees Union.
To apply send your application by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to: Human Resources, Qulliq Energy Corporation, P.O. Box 420, Baker Lake, NU X0C 0A0
Apply in writing, by July 24, 2020.
Applications for this competition may be considered for future employment opportunities with QEC.
We thank all applicants for the interest; however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.